Playing The Low Shot
During this lesson we will be discussing the biomechanical changes that you need to make when Playing the Low Shot. So, that by the end of the lesson you will understand the technical requirements for the low shot.
What You Will Learn
- How to change your set up to hit a low shot
- Set up of a practice area
- Ball position
- Changing the club’s loft
- Swing adjustment
What You Need
- A media device mobile, tablet, laptop or computer
- Internet connection
- Practice area or driving range
- Golf balls
- Tour sticks x 3
- Woggle x 1
- Golf club 8-5 iron
Playing the Low Shot
The aim of the shot is to hit the ball with a low-ball flight towards your chosen target.
You might need to use this type of shot to limit the effect of wind or to manoeuvre a ball forward under an obstacle like a tree branch.
Set up Adjustments When Playing the Low Shot
So, to make the ball fly low in the air you need to make some adjustments to your set up. There are a number of ways that a fade can be achieved. However, I would recommend that you make the fewest changes to your normal swing as possible required to make this shot.
The set-up changes required to hit the low shot are:
- Your ball to target line is that which goes through the ball and on towards the target
- The ball should be back in your stance, 2 inches right of centre non target side (Right-Handed Golfer)
- The foot, target line should be parallel left of the ball to target line
- Your knees, hips and shoulders should be parallel to the foot line
- Your grip should be unchanged
- The swing needs to be abbreviated so that the arms reach shoulder height
- An L shape is formed on by the end of the backswing, with a 90-degree angle between the arm and club shaft
- Your swing tempo should be the same as normal
- To work a low shot, mirror the end of the backswing in the follow through
The next lesson in the Advanced Shot Coaching Plan is the Playing the High Shot.
Next Lesson – Playing The High Shot
During this lesson we will be discussing the biomechanical changes that you need to make when Playing the High Shot.